Sunday, July 19, 2009

A long time coming

(As a stipulation to this blog post: I am not writing this to get back at, criticize, or offend anyone. If you are hurt or offended by this post, know that it was not my intention and that I am sorry. To my friends and family, I hope you know that I love you all greatly. You are very important to me and I do not know what I would do without you. This post however, will help you understand me better, and I hope you will give me that chance. I am writing this post for myself, for my own mental sanity. So please bear with me.)

I have been thinking about this topic for a very long time now; particularly, when it is best to share with others and how it is best to share with others. I have also postponed the discussion of this topic in the hope that it will no longer be a problem, but we do not feel that we can keep it to ourselves any longer. Secretly, I hoped this blog would be the outlet I needed to clear my heart, and now I am taking the leap of faith that it is. Even as I write this, I question if it is the right thing to do, but today I feel inspired so I won't back down. I may not write this the most eloquently, but at least I'm writing.

Jeremy and I are struggling with infertility.

I lead a very private life, so to many of you this is a surprise (don't feel bad, it is a surprise to most of my family as well). However, after much prayer and fasting we have felt that our struggle will be less painful in the open. I appreciate all of you who politely didn't ask us when we were planning to start our family. And to those who did, do not feel bad, I'd like to think that you asked because you think we will be great parents. We also would like to think that we will be great parents and cannot wait until the day when we have that opportunity.

So, if I have seemed like a very aloof or poor friend for the past year and a half, now you know why. I cannot describe to you the pain of even leaving the house for an act as simple as going to work, church, or school. Every child I see reminds me of the gaping whole I have in my life. Every pregnant woman I see reminds me of the joyous opportunities that are evading Jeremy and I. However, I do want to openly apologize to all my friends that felt shunned or snubbed in any way, it was not my intention, and I am deeply sorry. To all the women whose baby showers I missed I also apologize, but even the simple act of buying a gift for a baby is excruciating, and being at a baby shower is one of the toughest things I can even think to do in this moment, but that does not mean that I don't love you. To our friends and family who also struggle with infertility, you are in our thoughts and prayers, we also do not in any way mean to make light of your struggle (which may be longer than ours has been), we just feel like this is the right step for us.

I'm not really sure exactly what to share, I don't want to offend anyone, but I feel like I should share a few facts about where we are at. After trying for a year, we began to seek medical treatment. I have a strong family history of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so doctors believe that is what I suffer from. As with most medical treatment, they start you out with the easiest and cheapest in hopes that that will work before progressing to more invasive and expensive treatment. Currently I am taking medication that makes me incredibly sick some days, but I would gladly suffer much more than this to hold "my" infant in my arms.

I know that many of you may feel very unsure about how to deal with this information or even treat me now, and for that, I am sorry. I read a very touching and useful article today, however; that I highly encourage everyone to read. Millions of couples suffer from infertility in this life, probably some that you interact with every day and have no idea. I know that for me, if some people had read this article before interacting with me, I would not have gone home and cried for hours. In addition, the article makes the struggle of infertility so easy to understand. Honestly, I feel like my feelings were reflected perfectly in everything this article said. The article is called Infertility Etiquette, and here is the link http://www.resolve.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lrn_ffaf_ie.

This trial we are currently going through has tested our faith in ways we never imagined. Nevertheless, I testify to each of you that your Heavenly Father loves you. I testify of his great power to bless your lives. The power of the atonement is miraculous, and I yearn for the day when I can understand completely its power in my life. I testify that through our Heavenly Father we can truly find peace. No matter what you are struggling with in your life, your Heavenly Father is there for you. Take your burden to Him and He will lighten your load. I also testify of the power of service. If you are going through a time of trial, I can recommend nothing better to you than to serve someone else. Service will help you not only help you forget your own burdens, but will bring true joy and happiness to your life. (Isn't our Heavenly Father AMAZING!)

Thank you all for your love. It is the love of my family and friends that truly keeps me going when I am questioning my entire life purpose. I wish you all the greatest joys, happiness, and desires of your heart. May Heavenly Father watch over you and bless you as he sees fit.

7 comments:

  1. Jeanette, since I have known you I have looked up to you as an example of faith, diligence and patience. You are so strong and I still feel like I will never be the amazing woman you were for our relief society. This is such a brave thing of you to do, and sharing your struggle with your friends and family is such a good outlet because you can recieve so much needed support and encouagement. I love you SO much and am so thankful for the influence you have had on my life! I try really hard to be sensitive to those I know that struggle with infertility, but sometimes I say things without thinking so I REALLY hope I have never offended you or made you sad. Even though I'm not technically your visiting teacher anymore, I miss you and am always here for you if you need to talk/vent. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you guys and pray for you constantly. We are so grateful that you are part of our lives; you have always been such a great example to me. Thank you for this post, I really needed it tonight. You have such strong faith, even when challenged you hold fast. I wish that I could be more like you, and pray that we will stay close so I will continue to be blessed by your testimony. You are amazing, and I am so glad Jeremy found you! Thank you for all you do for me and my family, we love you so much and are always here for you no matter what you are going through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you and are so glad you were able to come spend some time with us this summer. I am so glad that you had the courage and faith to write this post. It is hard to not say something hurtful, when you don't know that there is a wound. And I have learned that words can cause some of the harshest wounds.I would never want to do anything to hurt you. You are a beautiful wonderful daughter and we are so glad that Jeremy brought you into our family. We pray always for your joy and happiness and will continue to do so forever. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had a problem having children or getting pregnant, but my mother did. That's why I was adopeted. No, that's not the answer for everyone, but I'm eternally grateful that my mother and father found me. I also have a little (I should say younger, he's certainly not 'little') brother, whose birth came about by very unusual means. My heart aches for you and for others like you, who struggle with the problem of infertility. You are a really wonderful, special couple, and I love you both very much. I don't know what God's plan is for all of us, but we can be sure that he is aware of us and of our heartaches and our righteous desires.
    Loved seeing you both at the family reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link to the article. I look forward to reading more on how to help or respond to others in your situation. I admire your testimony so much Jeanette. That was always a gift that I admired of you. I especially echo your testimony on service. Dave and I just recently read a book called The Message by Lance Richardson. He is a member of the church who died, went to Paradise, and came back to the earth. The book is about his experience in Paradise. He some great things to say especially about service. He said that service can change the world into Zion. Anyway, I suggest you read it. It helped me to learn more about why we go through what we do and it enlighten my testimony of the atonement as well. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you guys. It's not easy sharing your problems with everyone even if it is family and friends. We are glad you did. It will lift a weight off of you. I didn't really want to share my tumor story, but it was very therapeutic. I had an impression to look at your blog today and I'm glad I did. I can't imagine the pain you are going through but I can guess that it's the focal point of your life right now and at times all consuming. Your faith will get you through. Even as hard as this is, whatever the outcome, your faith is stronger and Jesus Christ is your Savior and you know that. He has all power to heal and comfort you. Trust in him and lean on us as your family and friends. We will offer whatever support we can. I wish we were closer but there's always the phone.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you shared this. You shouldn't worry about offending anyone because this is not something they should even get offended by. You guys are awesome! We love you and miss you! We'll pray for you, you really do deserve to have this joy in your life. Everyone does, some of us just take it for granted. We wish you the best! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete