Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Registered Nurse!


I know I haven't posted in a while, but life has been a little crazy the last several weeks. I was studying like crazy to take my nursing boards, which I took on June 29th. Then we picked my parents up from the airport 2 days later and headed to Blanding for the 4th of July immediately after. We just returned home yesterday and I've been busy all day applying for jobs, because I am a registered nurse!


Let me tell you about the ordeal my nursing boards were. I was scheduled to take my test in Ogden on June 29th at 8am; however, I was told that I had to be there a half an hour early. So I had to leave my parents home in Kaysville at 6:50 to ensure I got there on time. Once I got there I had to be fingerprinted and photographed. I was not allowed to have anything in my pockets besides my drivers license; all my other belongings had to be locked in a locker. I couldn't even take my chapstick, which was the biggest struggle for me (I am a chapstick-aholic).


The test is administered on a computer, but before I could begin they had to give me a whiteboard and a marker, tissues (which I had to leave on the table and could not put in my pocket), ear plugs (they couldn't even give me the plastic package the ear plugs were in, they had to put the ear plugs in my hand), and a serious talk through. They informed and showed me that I would be video and audio recorded at my computer and that if I needed to leave the test for any reason I was not allowed to stand up on my own. I must first raise my hand and the test administrator would come and excuse me. They also explained to me that I must be fingerprinted ever time I entered or left the testing room.


I surprisingly wasn't super nervous. I was just really excited for it to be done; one way or another. The ear plugs were a hidden treasure while taking the test. Ear plugs usually are quite uncomfortable for me, and I'm not saying they weren't, but what gives me anxiety while taking tests is listening to others. When I hear the clicks of others or that other people are standing up, it makes me really anxious and feel like I should be going faster. The ear plugs drowned it all out and I was so grateful! It was really nice to have something to write on as well. The weird thing is that I wasn't even allowed to erase it, they just had to bring me a new white board.


Anyways, the test wasn't easy, I had no idea how I was doing. Two and a half hours after beginning and 75 questions later, my test ended and I left. I've heard of a lot of people who began crying when they left because they didn't think they had done well. Well, I hate to break it to anyone, but I didn't cry. I was simply very relieved.


I really had no idea when I would get my results. They had me read a paper at the testing center that said I had to wait a month, but a friend told me the people at the testing center said 2 days. So I was just determined to wait patiently. Well, it turned out I didn't have to wait very long at all. The next day I decided to just see where I would look to see if I had passed. So I got on the dopl website and found that I was a registered nurse with a license number and everything. Then on Thursday, while I was in Blanding, my license arrived in the mail.


So I am now a registered nurse. I do not have a job, but I'm still a registered nurse. However, it doesn't feel real yet. I'm excited to get a job and move on with life, but it hasn't hit me yet, that life will never go back to what it was.


I just wanted to express a special thanks to all those who were thinking of me and praying for me. I truly felt of your support. I love you all!

Sincerely,

Jeanette Raisor, RN

4 comments:

  1. We're so proud of you and all the sacrifices you made to get your RN. Congratulations and have fun job hunting.Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. We drove past Aggie Ice Cream (known at my house as "the ice cream store") yesterday as a cheer camp was walking up. We thought of you, and how nice it would be to not have to serve all the cheerleaders! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on becoming an RN!! Love your blog, bytheway, the story about your wedding cake kills me. ;)

    ReplyDelete