( I know this picture is fuzzy, but it is the best one I could find.)Traditionally, you save the top of your wedding cake to eat on your first anniversary. Well, to conform with tradition, Jeremy and I did the same; however, we did not eat it on our first anniversary. It sat in my parents freezer until June 10th 2009. (We got married August 5th, 2005.) While trying to find room for some of our food in my parents freezer during the move I found our wedding cake and decided now was as good a time as any to pull it out. We knew that being almost 4 years old it would be really gross, but we vowed to give it a try anyway after it thawed out.
This is a picture of our lovely cake all wrapped up from the freezer.
Now, our wedding cake was one of the most exciting parts of our wedding. How often can you find someone to make a hexagonal cake for you. Plus, we found someone who could frost it with butter cream but make it look as seamless as fondant (cause fondant is gross). Also, it was raspberry filled, which was fantastic. It was simple but beautiful and exactly what we wanted.
This picture still shows some of the beautiful detailing that was on our cake.
Well, I got all pumped up on Sunday to break into the top of our wedding cake. I had the camera out to memorialize our experience. I took the plastic wrap off the cake and looked down to see how our cake had really held up, only to find an earwig crawling around the edge of the plate. I HATE EARWIGS! So, I started screaming and had to have someone else come and kill it. Thus, the moment was ruined and there was no way that I was going to try one bite of that cake. I didn't even have the courage to cut into it. I had Jeremy put it in a bag and take it out to the garbage immediately. Our cake, after taking off the plastic wrap and finding an earwig. Obviously the frosting didn't hold on to the cake very well.
All in all, it was nice to reminisce about our wedding, but I wish I hadn't gotten my hopes up to have them dashed. So, to all my friends and family that partook of their previously frozen wedding cake, I hope it was a good experience; and to all who haven't had that experience yet, be sure to keep your cake where bugs can't get to it in the mean time.
Yuck, I don't like earwigs too. I just found your blog and it is great to hear that you both are doing great. Good luck on your boards tomorrow. I know you will do great.
ReplyDeleteyeah, my parents saved ours too. I didn't even want to try it (because they told me it would be gross). it was really good at the wedding though, I wish we could have had more than one slice, lol.
ReplyDelete