Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Hobbies? What hobbies?

Jeremy and I attended our new ward for the first time this last Sunday. It seems wonderful and we are excited for a new adventure and an opportunity to meet new people. My dilema is this:

As with most wards, they had us fill out an information page about ourselves. On the form it asked us to list our hobbies. Hobbies? Well, at the time we skipped to the rest of the paper and eventually just turned it in without filling in any hobbies.

So here is my question...what qualifies as a hobby? Something I attempt to try and enjoy, but am not successful at and give up in less than a month. Something I don't mind doing, but is definately not my first choice of activities. I honestly don't know. So let's look at the definition: an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.

Okay, so let me think through my options. I don't really have any lame hobbies like stamp collecting. I used to collect socks, but I wouldn't say that was a hobby. I've recently had an interest in cross stitching, but after working on a cross stitch for a year now, can you really consider that a hobby. Cross stitching will probably end up like my lame pursuit at becoming a knitter or crocheter. I've always said reading, but that is a very generic quick "go to" hobby. I'm not saying I don't like to read, but honestly it has to be a really good book and I don't usually opt to read if I have other options. I liked to do theater in highschool, but I don't have the oppurtunity to do that any more. I like to cook, but I'm too lazy to do it most of the time and so not adventurous enough to do cool things.

To be completely honest with myself and everyone else I'd have to say that my hobbies are watching TV or movies, eating, and grocery shopping. But can I really put that on a get to know you form, do I want people just meeting me to get that picture of who I am.

Well, I think that is about it for internal revelation, but if anyone else thinks they know a hobby I might already have or enjoy feel free to post and let me know what it is. I'm finding that without school and working nights I have a lot more free time when Jeremy is not around. And sadly, I'll admit that I fill that time with TV, movies, and eating! Go me!!

4 comments:

  1. I've noticed that my hobbies changed over the years. When the children were little my hobbies were changing diapers and bandaging skinned knees. What was free time? Now it is running to football games, drama productions and chasing after 3 teenage boys, but I think the one constant thing that occupies my free time is family. Yes, family is my hobby. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an audio tape of William Wait, where he asked a room full of Relief Society sisters, what they did 'for fun'. No answer. Kind of makes you think, huh?! I'm like you, curl up with a good book, or have a good visit with my children or grandchildren. Take a drive with someone and just visit. Does that qualify as a hobby? It's something I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to feel that way, except for me it was more of a "what's my talent?" your talents can be your hobby. you were in the choir, that counts. if I were closer I'd let you share my hobby of sewing :) because now I have 2 machines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no hobbies or talents either, so when you figure this question out please let me know!

    ReplyDelete