Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Joining the Ranks of the Unemployed

Yesterday was the final day of my job at Aggie Ice Cream. I have worked there since March 14th, 2005 and now my time there is done. Since I have worked there for more than 4 years (the longest job I have ever held, and longer than I have held all my other jobs combined) let me take you down memory lane for just a minute.

Getting this job was truly an answer to my prayers. Jeremy and I had been dating almost 2 months and knew we were going to get married. I decided that it was time for me to get a job so I could help support us. (I know, very grown up and mature for 19.) It turned out the manager at the time was the Executive Secretary in my ward and also engaged to a good friend in my dorm. Of course he interviewed me, told his fiance, and received much coaxing from her to hire me. Oh, and a recommendation from your bishop never hurts either. Well, I got the job, and I'd like to think it was one of the best decisions he ever made. (Just kidding!)

While working there I have seen many people come and go; many wonderful friends, and some people I haven't really missed. It was the perfect job during school because it was only a ten minute walk from our apartment and was very flexible with my school schedule. When I got promoted to assistant manager two years ago, that was also an answer to prayers. It gave me even more flexibility during nursing school which I really needed.

I'm so grateful for the many laughs, some cries, and periodic creepy and weird dreams that place has generated. (However, not so grateful for the internal anguish that occasionally occupied the job.) Thank you to all of my wonderful co-workers I've had over the years who have made it such a fantastic place to work (and thanks to those not so wonderful co-workers for quiting). Thank you also to the great customers I have had the opportunity to serve. You guys are the reason I left my job some days thinking, "I absolutely love what I do!"

My final day was great! I got a goodbye party that my friends, co-workers, and customers came to. Thank you all for your love and support of me. Leaving you is the hardest part of quiting! I must admit that I did cry while saying goodbye to one person who is very special to me. That doesn't mean that I don't love the rest of you, I'm just not a crier.

So now I'm at home and supposed to be packing, but I wanted to give a little Ode to Aggie Ice Cream first. So here it goes.

Four years of life have passed me by,
But to forget them I simply don’t want to try.
I had the joy to bring some happiness,
Sunshine, warmth, and hopefully gladness,
To the faces of thousands and a few I knew well
And how I will miss it I just can’t tell.
Taking laundry to the poop lab so long ago,
Such a stinky trip, you don’t want to know.
Some inspired songs and snazzy dances,
Trips to the freezer, I never lacked in chances.
Late nights and then early mornings
Giving new employees cheerleader warnings.
Learning new registers. Oh, what a chore.
Now, counting inventory, that was a bore.
But all in all, I’ll never regret
This wonderful job I was blessed to get.
So now that I’m gone, I’m thinking of you,
That brightened my life and made it not blue,
These wonderful memories I’ll hold in my heart,
And Famous Aggie Ice Cream, in my life, will always have a part.

2 comments:

  1. You are so talented!! I hope that (if you want) you do not stay unemployed long. Nurses are needed everywhere!!!! we love you guys are were so happy to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog world! I am so glad you have one so we can keep in touch. We are coming to Utah in July & would love to meet up with some of our Logan friends that are still around. Just let us know what your plans are & if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete